About Capitol Hill Library
The Capitol Hill Library opened in its current location in November of 1951. In 1965, it joined the Metropolitan Library System. In 2007, Oklahoma City voters approved a bond issue to renovate Capitol Hill. The renovated library opened in October 2017 with an additional 9,400 square feet (now totaling 17,000 square feet), a large meeting room, four private study rooms, a children's area featuring outdoor patio seating, a teen area, and additional computers.
The first airplane flight in Oklahoma took place on the site of Capitol Hill Library in 1910. Capitol Hill’s décor reflects that history of the community and nods to it can be found throughout the space. A permanent public art installation visible at the front entrance of the library titled “Never Stop Dreaming…the Sky Is the Limit”, by local Venezuelan-born artist Beatriz Mayorca, also reflects the theme of flight.
Today, Capitol Hill Library serves the diverse residents of the historic Capitol Hill neighborhood in south Oklahoma City, a block away from historic Commerce Street, or Calle Dos Cinco.
Book drop location: On the southeast corner of the building.