Do you have a child in your life?
The Library offers a wide variety of developmentally appropriate programming, specially designed spaces, and materials for children of all ages, parents, and caregivers. Explore the links below or visit your nearest Library location to learn more!
General Parenting Links
- Child Development Institute: Provides information on child development, psychology, health issues, parenting and family life.
- Children Now: Children Now is a nonpartisan organization recognized nationally for its policy expertise and up-to-date information regarding children. The targeted audience is broad, reaching out to parents, lawmakers, citizens, business, media and community leaders.
- Parent’s Choice Foundation: Provides a non-profit consumer guide to children's books, toys, audio, video, software, TV and magazines.
Babies and Toddlers
- Zero to Three: Straightforward science-based information and tools designed to help parents and caregivers nurture their young children’s development.
- Born Learning: Help grow your childs brain by turning everyday moments into fun learning opportunities for your child.
- Smart Start Central Oklahoma: Information on helping your child be prepared for school. Links to great local information and agencies working in Oklahoma County for families.
- Center for Early Literacy Learning: Early literacy activities for parents and caregivers to do with babies, toddlers and preschoolers.
- Early Birds Oklahoma: program created by Smart Start of Central Oklahoma to help parents of children from birth to 5 years with for school readiness.
Reading and Books
- International Children's Digital Library: Free access to over 4000 digital children's books online in over 50 languages.
- PBS Reading and Learning: Articles, activities and booklists for parents and children.
- Storyblocks: an online video collection featuring one-minute songs and rhymes for babies, toddlers and preschool children in both English and Spanish.
Health and Safety
- KidsHealth: Created by the pediatric medical experts at The Alfred I duPont Hospital for Children, The Nemours Childrens Clinic, and other children's health facilities nationwide. Articles on many aspects of child health, for parents, kids, and teens.
- Healthfinder: Gateway to selected health and human services information resources with online links to governmental and public organizations by subject, including parenting, infants, children, teens, and families.
- National Immunization Program: Centers for Disease Control compiled information on childhood diseases and immunization.
- HealthyChildren.org: Is a online resource powered by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and its member pediatricians who dedicate their efforts and resources to the health, safety and well-being of infants, children, adolescents and young adults.
Hey, Diddle Diddle-- Kids and families will love Mother Goose on the Loose ®! Mother Goose on the Loose ® is a play-based early literacy program that uses books, puppets, flannel pieces, music, and movement to bring language and literacy to life! Join us for this exciting, innovative program for young children.
Join us for a storytime at your neighborhood library! Skilled librarians will introduce little ones to the library and show parents and caregivers invaluable information on reading readiness and create excitement about reading. Connect with others while enjoying stories, songs, rhymes, fingerplays, and more!
This program is designed for children and accompanying adults. Please plan to be in attendance and be engaged with your child for this program.