Materials. All materials are fine free and do not accrue fines. Lost or damaged materials will still incur charges. Technology (e.g., Hotspots, Chromebooks, iPads, laptops) and Experience Passes are not fine free and will still accrue fines.
Lost or Damaged Items and Materials. Once an item is 60 days overdue, the item is considered lost. The borrower who damages, loses, or does not return an item must pay the replacement cost as determined by the library system.
Lost or damaged electronic devices. Account holders will be charged $5.00 per hour to a maximum of $60.00, plus the replacement cost, for each overdue or lost electronic device (e.g., Hotspots, Chromebooks, iPads, laptops).
Loss of borrowing privileges. Accounts that have been billed a replacement cost (a “lost fee”) for an item will lose borrowing privileges until the item is paid for or returned.
Fine Collection. After reasonable notification, the library system may take legal steps to retrieve unreturned materials, and/or file felony or misdemeanor complaints.
If you return select materials after their due date, fines accrue daily. Lost and damaged items will incur fines based on the type of material as outlined below.
- Overdue Fines
- Electronic devices: $5.00 per hour to a maximum of $60
- Interlibrary loans (borrowed by MLS): $0.50 per day up to the cost of the item
- Experience Passes: $1.00 per day to a maximum of $30
- Damaged Book, Magazine or Electronic Device – List price at the time of purchase
- Damaged Audiovisual Materials – Replacement cost if lost or damaged due to carelessness or neglect
- Damaged Audiovisual Materials, One Part of a Set (book on CD) – $7.00 per part if lost or damaged due to carelessness or neglect
- Damaged Audiovisual Materials, Liner Notes or Guide – No charge
- Lost or damaged materials borrowed by MLS via Interlibrary Loan – The lending library sets the fee
For more detailed policy information and a list of all fines and fees, please see our Borrowing Policy and our Fee Schedule.